Monday, April 2, 2007

This movie has stuck itself to my brain...

...and it will not let go.

I saw Meet the Robinsons with my family on Saturday. You know, the animated G-rated Disney movie that just came out? Though it got B minuses all around on Yahoo, I thought it was really, really good. I was almost positive I'd like it, because I've always been an absolute sucker for orphan stories, and I was absolutely right. I choked up at the end, too. Only just stopped myself from bawling like a baby.

But despite the obvious things--orphan story, quite a bit of the adult-kid dynamic (which I love), and the kind of haunting "this is how things could have turned out" theme that I like so much--I really have no idea why that movie affected me as strongly as it did. I seriously can't see a cutesy little preview for it without going into this weird pensive mood, and I really want to see it again. And again. And again.

So now I'm trying to analyze it. Figure out exactly what got to me so much about that movie. Because I've seen combinations of all three of the above before, and while they were good, they didn't stick with me nearly as much. So I figure it must be something else, and I want to know what, because if I find that then I can use it in my writing, and I'll be able to write things that deeply affect me, at the very least.

To be honest, I'm a bit weirded out by this. I just can't figure it out.

Now I really want to see that movie again.

No comments: