Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A Musing

This doesn't have anything to do with writing but everything to do with life.

It came on the TV as a random news break that Saddam Hussein would be executed within thirty days. For some reason, the anchorwoman's inflection as she said it really got to me.

It's like, okay, Saddam Hussein will be dead. Hanged, from what I've heard. (Is that correct?) One man whom I believe can safely be called evil will be dead. Does that mean everyone will just stop fighting? Will the world be a better place? Will Iraqis stop fighting each other and celebrate in the streets?

It might be my pessimistic nature, but I really, really doubt it.

Somehow, though, I have this feeling that someone, somewhere, will go to bed on the night of the execution feeling completely safe. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but is it possible that it's a little bit...misguided? I don't know much about the whole situation, admittedly, but everyone has seen, in some capacity, how completely a man like Saddam Hussein can take over a country and imprison a people. The reason - the only reason - that I don't know more is that it's so far out there. Halfway across the world. Oh, it's just the Middle East, they're all poor anyway, so it's not important. What if it were England, or Canada? What if it were somewhere that's closer to us, or more important to us, or more influential? Will I have to live the rest of my life wondering when the next truly evil and highly intelligent person will rise to power, and whether or not it'll affect my life? Will all of us?

The answer, of course, is yes...and somehow, we'll survive it.

No comments: